Tag: Urban Parks

Park Point Recreation Area, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of what is locally called The End or the end of The Point, meaning the terminus of the Park Point neighborhood at the actual park. The beach runs the length of Minnesota Point from Canal Park, but the park deparment's park facility is the last few blocks of the Point. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Enger Tower, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Enger Tower in Enger Park. The city of Duluth aquired the park land between 1891 and 1928. The 70 foot tall, six story tower cost $30,000 to build, and is 583 feet above Lake Superior. You can see 31.4 miles on a clear day. It has a 10 foot conical shaped beacon light at the top with 32 vertical tubes. Norwegian businessman Bert Enger (1864-1931) left his $185,000 estate to the city and selected charitable organizations. One third, or $61,000, was to be used for the memorial tower located at 16th Avenue West and Skyline Parkway Drive [...]

Lincoln Park, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Lincoln Park at 2501 West Third Street, and the heart of the Lincoln Park neighborhood. The park was established in 47 separate land transactions over time. It was planned around Miller Creek and opened as Garfield Park in 1890. The park's stone pavilion was under construction winter 1934. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Rose Garden and Leif Erikson Park, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view from Fifteenth Avenue East to the Corner of the Lake, from East Superior Street down to London Road and the lake shore. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Park Point Recreation Area and Beach, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of what is locally called The End or the end of The Point, meaning the terminus of the Park Point neighborhood at the actual park. The beach runs the 7 mile length of Minnesota Point from Canal Park, but the park deparment's park facility is the last few blocks of the Point. The Park Point bathhouse or beach house is the large building facing the lake shore with baseball fields behind. The Point does continue on. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Wheeler Field, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Wheeler Field and playground at 3501 Grand Avenue with its baseball diamonds and tennis courts. Henry Wakeman Wheeler (1821-1906) a first settler, arrived in Duluth in April of 1855; a 28 acre tract of land between 34-37 Avenue West and Grand Avenue was named Wheeler Field for him. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Indian Point Campground, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Duluth Parks Department Indian Point Campground at Indian Point Park at 7500 Pulaski Street near 68th Avenue West or 7408 Grand Avenue today. It is very near the St. Louis River Western Waterfront and Willard Munger Trails. There are 70 camping spots. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Park Point Recreation Area, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of a segment of Minnesota Point which is locally called Park Point. The far end of The Point (top of the image) is where the park's recreation facilites are located. The beach runs the 7 mile length of Minnesota Point from Canal Park to the harbor entry, but the park deparment's park facility is the last few blocks of the Point. The baseball fields are visible. The Point does continue on to the Sky Harbor airport whose runway is visible and the natural harbor entry separating Duluth and Superior, Wisconsin. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn [...]

Wheeler Field and Wade Stadium, Duluth, Minnesota

View of Wheeler Field in the foreground and Wade Municipal All Sports Stadium in the middleground and the coal dock in the background. Wade is at 101 North 35th Avenue West was dedicated July 16, 1941. It was renamed Wade Municipal Stadium February 3, 1954, to honor the late Frank Wade, former owner of the Duluth Dukes baseball team. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Leif Erikson Park, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view from about Eleventh to Ninth Avenues East from East Superior Street down to London Road and the lake shore. You can see the replica Leif Erikson boat in the park. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top