Tag: Railroad Yard

Aerial Lift Bridge: Laker Entering Duluth Harbor, Duluth, Minnesota

In the middle of this image are the low, long Northern Pacific freight sheds with cranes and a couple of men near the harbor end of the dock by the tip of the ore boat. Wholesale grocers Gowan-Lenning-Brown sign for its Honor brand is visible in the Canal Park area near the bridge. The manufacturer of the Honor Brand was an outgrowth of the Wright-Clarkson Company. It was Gowan-Peyton-Twohy Company in 1910 then Gowan-Peyton-Congdon in 1911, and finally Gowan-LenningBrown in 1913. At 20 West Morse Street is a sign for wholesale Hogstad Fish. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, [...]

View of Proctor railroad yard, Proctor, Minnesota

The small city of Proctor, just west of Duluth, was established as Proctor Knott in 1894, named for J. Proctor Knott then governor of Kentucky. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top