Tag: Railroad Equipment

Endion Roundhouse, Duluth, Minnesota

Mikado Number 1303 stands on the turntable at Endion Roundhouse located along the shore of Lake Superior with Duluth and the aerial bridge in the background. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Duluth Missabi and Iron Range Railway Back Shop, Proctor, Minnesota

Proctor, near Duluth, was the home base of the DM & IR and its predecessor roads the D & IR and the DM & N. Proctor was created in 1892 when the railroad was extending into Duluth and needed large flat areas. It was the largest such yard in the world. In 1894, the village was incorporated as Proctorknott after J. Proctor Knott, a U.S. Congressman from Kentucky who delivered a satirical speech ridiculing Duluth. The name was later shortened to Proctor. The locomotive back shop was was completed in 1905 and used continuously until the end of the steam [...]

DM & N Railway Proctor North Roundhouse, Proctor, Minnesota

The interior of the north round house of the Duluth, Missabe and Northern Railway yards at Proctor. A round house is a circular or semicircular building, near a turntable, used for repairs or for storage of locomotives. Early steam locomotives normally only travelled forward. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Roundhouse, Two Harbors, Minnesota

The Duluth and Iron Range Railway roundhouse and yards in Two Harbors. The high school is in the right background. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Back Shop and Transfer Table, Proctor, Minnesota

Proctor, near Duluth, was the home base of the Duluth Missabi and Iron Range Railway and its predecessor roads the D&IR and the DM&N. Proctor was created in 1892 when the railroad was extending into Duluth and needed large flat areas. It was the largest such yard in the world. In 1894, the village was incorporated as Proctorknott after J. Proctor Knott, a U.S. Congressman from Kentucky who delivered a satirical speech ridiculing Duluth. The name was later shortened to Proctor. Thousands of cars were handled daily. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota [...]

Go to Top