Tag: Railroad Depots

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Duluth from Skyline Parkway, Duluth, Minnesota

Skyline Parkway began in 1888 as Terrace Parkway or Rogers Boulevard. It was extended under Mayor Samuel F. Snively. Today, Skyline Parkway Drive stretches about 27 miles. In December 1959 the Duluth City Council and Mayor E. Clifford Bork changed the name of Rogers parkway and Skyline Boulevard to Skyline Parkway. The smokestack at the far left is part of the Duluth steam plant. It heats hundreds of downtown buildings. To the left of the smokestack is Hotel Duluth, which opened to great fanfare on May 21, 1925. Hotel Duluth became senior housing and was renamed Greysolon Plaza in October [...]

Arrowhead Reception Committee to welcome President Calvin Coolidge, Duluth, Minnesota

Unidentified men comprise the welcome committee the summer U.S. President Calvin Coolidge stayed on the Brule River and visited the region. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Wholesale District of Duluth, Duluth, Minnesota

In the foreground is the wholesale district on the waterfront of the Duluth harbor. In the background are grain elevators. In this photo, Michigan Street is at the far right in front of the Union Depot. Railroad Street is parallel to Michigan and runs in front of the Duluth Terminal building and Northern Cold Storage Company (with the white steam) at 400 South Ninth Avenue West. The Patrick Building at 302 South Fifth Avenue West and Commerce Street is between the Hickory sign and the Northern Drug Company building. Hickory is the main brand of Kelley-How-Thomson Company. It and Stone-Ordean-Wells [...]

Michigan Street businesses, Duluth, Minnesota

Looking east from Michigan street and Sixth Avenue West. The Union Depot is at the right. Hotel Columbia is across the street with its awnings extended. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Construction of Union Depot, Duluth, Minnesota

Duluth's Union Depot at Fifth Avenue West and Michigan Street still stands as a rehabilitated and reused historic building called St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center. Here it is under construction in 1891. In 1890 the Northern Pacific and the St. Paul and Duluth railway officials jointly authorized construction of the Union Depot. It served seven railroads. It was designed by the firm of Peabody and Stearns and cost $615,000. It opened March 1, 1892. The original train shed was razed in 1924. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

City of Duluth, Duluth, Minnesota

An early view of the Duluth hillside from Elevator A and the pier looking west to downtown Duluth and Minnesota Point. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top