Tag: Parks

Wheeler Field, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Wheeler Field and playground at 3501 Grand Avenue with its baseball diamonds and tennis courts. Henry Wakeman Wheeler (1821-1906) a first settler, arrived in Duluth in April of 1855; a 28 acre tract of land between 34-37 Avenue West and Grand Avenue was named Wheeler Field for him. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Indian Point Campground, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Duluth Parks Department Indian Point Campground at Indian Point Park at 7500 Pulaski Street near 68th Avenue West or 7408 Grand Avenue today. It is very near the St. Louis River Western Waterfront and Willard Munger Trails. There are 70 camping spots. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Replica Boat in Leif Erikson Park, Duluth, Minnesota

Leif Erikson Park is the site of the half-size replica of the Leif Erikson boat the "Norwegian Vikings" sailed to America in 997 A. D. The boat was donated to the city of Duluth by Enger and Olson, Inc. (furniture store owned by Bert Enger of Enger Park and Enger Tower) in 1927. The 12-ton, 42 feet long, red and white sail, replica was built of Norway pine and sailed to America from Korgen, Norway, leaving Norway on May 26, 1926, arriving in Duluth after visits to numerous ports, on June 23, 1927. The head and tail were made by [...]

Go to Top