Tag: Ore Boats

Aerial Lift Bridge: John A. Blatnik Bridge D-116, Duluth, Minnesota

The caption on this post card says JOHN A BLATNIK BRIDGE A Foreign Ship enters the Duluth-Superior Harbor Westerly Terminus of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The Port Authority Terminal is shown in the background. This is the Interstate Bridge. The original Interstate toll bridge was built in 1897, property of the Duluth-Superior Bridge Company, a subsidiary of the Great Northern Railroad. It was replaced by the this High Bridge or the Blatnik Bridge as it was renamed in 1971. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Aerial View from Lake Superior, Duluth, Minnesota

An ore boat is steaming through the canal into Duluth harbor. The canal was cut beginning in 1871, and this bridge was built in 1904-1905 and modified with the lift span (which is up in this photo) in 1929. Canal Park is to the right of the Aerial Lift Bridge. Today a tourist destination, Canal Park was originally an industrial site. In this photograph Canal Park is in transition. You can see some demolition as well as some new parking facilities very near the pier including green space for residents and tourists to get near the vessel traffic and the [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: Interstate Bridge With The Span Open, Duluth, Minnesota

The Interstate Bridge between Duluth and Superior, originally called the "Duluth-Superior Bridge", was owned by the Great Northern railroad but never used by them. It was used by the Soo Line from 1909 until its closure in December 1961 when the new High Bridge opened. Built in 1897 by the Duluth-Superior Bridge Company, it carried two railway tracks as well as two tracks for streetcars. The center draw span, the largest of its kind when built, was 485-feet in length. Small tugs and ferries could pass underneath, and the outer spans were designed for passage of log rafts to upriver [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Canal Park, Duluth, Minnesota

This area is below Superior Street. Superior Street is the main street in downtown Duluth. Minnesota Slip (water), on some 1920s maps called Lake Avenue Slip, is the parking spot for four lake vessels in this photograph. Today this slip holds the William A. Irvin ore boat museum. The slip is bounded by the Northern Pacific Railway Dock and the NP's low freight sheds on the right, and by Canal Park on the left. The sign on the brick building next to the Robert N. Joynt vessel says North Star Terminal and Dock Company; Standard Salt and Cement Company. The [...]

Progressive Port, Duluth, Minnesota

An aerial view (for a 1961 Photo Contest) of the Duluth-Superior port and the incomplete high bridge, a tied-arch suspension span, whose construction began November 28, 1958 and was dedicated December 2, 1971. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Duluth from Skyline Parkway, Duluth, Minnesota

Skyline Parkway began in 1888 as Terrace Parkway or Rogers Boulevard. It was extended under Mayor Samuel F. Snively. Today, Skyline Parkway Drive stretches about 27 miles. In December 1959 the Duluth City Council and Mayor E. Clifford Bork changed the name of Rogers parkway and Skyline Boulevard to Skyline Parkway. The smokestack at the far left is part of the Duluth steam plant. It heats hundreds of downtown buildings. To the left of the smokestack is Hotel Duluth, which opened to great fanfare on May 21, 1925. Hotel Duluth became senior housing and was renamed Greysolon Plaza in October [...]

Duluth Missabe and Iron Range Railway Ore Dock 6, Duluth, Minnesota

View of the D.M. & I.R. Ore Dock 6 in the Duluth Harbor. Moored at the dock are "D.M. Clemson" and an unidentified ore boat. Each ore boat has a bumboat beside it (a bumboat is a floating supply store). The Clemson is being loaded. Also in the photograph is Steam Locomotive 205. ~ Photo Credit: Lake Superior Railroad Museum

Leif Erikson Park, Duluth, Minnesota

This is Leif Erikson Park's amphitheater feature and its view to the Lake Superior. People are on park benches, and there is an ore boat on the lake. Lakeshore Park was renamed Leif Erikson Park 1929. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top