Tag: Lake Superior Zoo

Duluth Zoo, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of the Duluth Zoo at Fairmount Park at 71st Avenue West and Grand Avenue dates back to 1923 when West Duluth businessman Bert Onsgard received permission from the City to construct a pen for Billy, his pet deer. The Pittsburgh Steel Company donated a railroad car full of fencing to the project. By 1926 many animals were donated to the zoo by local citizens and businesses. Over the next twenty years, several buildings were constructed and the animal collection grew to include bears, elk, moose, hyenas, leopards and an elephant. During the Depression the WPA built several structures [...]

Go to Top