Tag: Hotel Duluth

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of the harbor from downtown, Duluth, Minnesota

View of the Duluth harbor from just east and behind Hotel Duluth in downtown. You are looking across Superior Street down Lake Avenue. You move along Lake Avenue to approach and cross the bridge. Hotel Duluth is at the far right of the photograph. The lift span is down. Grandma's Restaurant (opened in 1976) is at the base of the north tower of the bridge and the Corps of Engineers Building is to the left of the restaurant. The blue building, a flag is to its left, and the facility stretching out from it is the U.S. Army Corps of [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: Aerial View of Duluth, Minnesota

This autumn aerial view is one of many taken by Wayne Gatlin. Enger park is at the left and Enger Tower in the midst of it. The park acquired partly by gift from J. B. Enger, was acquired by the city of Duluth between 1891 and 1928. Enger Tower cost $30,000 to build, is built six stories high, 70 feet tall, and 583 feet above Lake Superior. You can see 31.4 miles on a clear day. It has a 10 foot conical shaped beacon at the top with 32 vertical tubes. One third of the $185,000 Enger estate, $61,000, was [...]

View of harbor, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Duluth harbor, waterfront, canal park and Minnesota Point to about Sixteenth Street at the far right. At the far left on the waterfront are the Huron Portland Cement silos. This property would become LaFarge corporation property. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Aerial View from Lake Superior, Duluth, Minnesota

An ore boat is steaming through the canal into Duluth harbor. The canal was cut beginning in 1871, and this bridge was built in 1904-1905 and modified with the lift span (which is up in this photo) in 1929. Canal Park is to the right of the Aerial Lift Bridge. Today a tourist destination, Canal Park was originally an industrial site. In this photograph Canal Park is in transition. You can see some demolition as well as some new parking facilities very near the pier including green space for residents and tourists to get near the vessel traffic and the [...]

Duluth Waterfront, Duluth, Minnesota

Spring aerial view of downtown Duluth and the harbor from Sixth Avenue West looking northeast along the shore of Lake Superior to Lester River. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Minnesota Point Beach, Duluth, Minnesota

Looking north from the Minnesota Point beach. The neighborhood of Minnesota Point is called Park Point. The park at the end of the point is also called Park Point. The building to the right of the black and white lighthouse is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Building. built in 1906. The Marine Museum will be joined to it in 1973. The 67-foot tall lighthouse in front of the Aerial Lift Bridge is formally called South Breakwater Inner Light Tower. Owned by the federal government and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, the tower's light was [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: View from East Second Street, Duluth, Minnesota

Looking toward Canal Park from East Second Street, Calvary Temple Church is at the center right with a white cross. The church address is 412 East First Street. Next door to Calvary is Curran Apartment building with three front stoops at 408 and 410 East First Street. The very top of Hotel Duluth at far right top. This residential area was absorbed by Miller-Dwan Hospital and its parking facilities. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Aerial View of Aerial Bridge and Duluth From Lake Superior, Duluth, Minnesota

View of Duluth's hillside from just shy of Sixth Avenue West on the left and Fourteenth Avenue East on the far right half-way up the edge. Houses in the Kenwood neighborhood are clustered at the far right. To the left of Kenwood is the College of St. Scholastica with dominant Tower Hall. Drop straight down from the college to the Peace Church built in 1959. The airbase housing cluster called Capehart on Arrowhead Road that was later sold and developed into Aspenwood Condominiums is beyond the college with the Cook Home at the top middle of the photograph. ~ Photo [...]

Go to Top