Tag: Health and Medicine

Nursing students’ capping ceremony at The College of St. Scholastica, Duluth, Minnesota

Nursing students from The College of St. Scholastica are shown participating in a capping ceremony in the Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel. Pictured left to right are Father Popish, Jean Ann Ross, Carol LaRome, Sister Rita Marie Bergeron, Jean Michela, and Mary Margaret Reisenger. ~ Photo Credit: The College of St. Scholastica

Nursing students’ capping ceremony at The College of St. Scholastica, Duluth, Minnesota

Nursing students from The College of St. Scholastica are shown participating in a capping ceremony in the Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel. Sister Rita Marie Bergeron is capping a nursing student with Beverley St. John and Rose Marie Franklin to the left and to the right. ~ Photo Credit: The College of St. Scholastica

Medical Arts Building, Duluth, Minnesota

The Medical Arts building was built in 1932 at 324 West Superior Street where the St. Louis Hotel had stood. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

First St. Mary’s Hospital, Duluth, Minnesota

The building which was the first St. Mary's Hospital in Duluth, as it appeared in 1945. In the mid-1880s, Abbot Alexius Edelbrock of St. John's Abbey considered creating an independent foundation of Benedictine monks in Duluth. In 1887 three buildings were constructed in Duluth's west end: a church, a parish house and a school and residence using bricks manufactured at St. John's. Plans for the new foundation did not materialize, but Abbot Alexius convinced Mother Scholastica Kerst that the large building could be converted into a hospital. The Benedictine sisters did exactly this, opening the first St. Mary's Hospital at [...]

Go to Top