Tag: Harbors

View of harbor, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Duluth harbor, waterfront, canal park and Minnesota Point to about Sixteenth Street at the far right. At the far left on the waterfront are the Huron Portland Cement silos. This property would become LaFarge corporation property. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Whitney Brothers Gravel Business Structure, Duluth, Minnesota

Winter view of the remnants of the Whitney Brothers rock crushing business that stand in Lake Superior off the shore at Canal Park near the Aerial lift bridge. William A. Whitney and E. Harvey Whitney of Superior, Wisconsin, had a sand and gravel processing business. The largest concrete form was the dredging or crushing building. The structure was built in 1919. A tunnel ran from the building to Minnesota Point. There was a conveyor belt and railroad spur adjacent to the concrete building. Sand from the Apostle Islands and gravel from Grand Marais were carried to Duluth on a small [...]

Neighborhoods of Duluth: West Duluth, Ore Docks, Duluth, Minnesota

West Duluth; Iron Ore Docks; Duluth Municipal Stadium that would be renamed Wade Stadium; harbor; houses; baseball diamond; cars; Berwind Fuel Company at South Fiftieth Avenue West and NP Railway tracks; ore carriers; ore boats; iron ore docks; Thirty-ninth Avenue west; summer; trees ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Neighborhoods of Duluth: West Duluth, Wade Baseball Stadium, Duluth, Minnesota

Wade Stadium was Duluth Municipal Stadium. Wade Stadium was dedicated on July 16, 1941, 3:00 p.m. Duluth Municipal Stadium located at 34th Ave West and Grand, or 35th avenue west and Michigan Street, was renamed Wade Municipal Stadium February 3, 1954, to honor the late Frank Wade, former owner of the Duluth Dukes baseball team. Wade was sited as having made durable contributions to Duluth. Letters from the community were sent to Mayor George D. Johnson encouraging the name change. The letters were sent on to Frank Wade's widow. The stadium was constructed by WPA workmen under sponsorship of the [...]

Aerial view of Rice’s Point and Elevator Row, Duluth, Minnesota

The presence of Peavey elevators in the Duluth harbor dates back to 1900. In 1930, F.H. Peavey expands the Peavey Duluth terminal with concrete silos. In 1999, the Seaway Port Authority lets contract for razing of Occident and Peavey elevators. Garfield Avenue is the main street that runs the length of Rice's Point. It is the street in the lower left corner of this photograph. Houses and businesses on Garfield are parallel to the rail yards of the Northern Pacific; Great Northern; Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha. Garfield Avenue takes you to the Interstate Bridge. ~ Photo Credit: University [...]

Neighborhoods of Duluth: West Duluth, Interlake Iron Railroad, Duluth, Minnesota

West Duluth; Interlake Iron; railroad; rail cars; coal; smoke stacks; Zenith Furnace company; winter; snow ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Wholesale District of Duluth, Duluth, Minnesota

In the foreground is the wholesale district on the waterfront of the Duluth harbor. In the background are grain elevators. In this photo, Michigan Street is at the far right in front of the Union Depot. Railroad Street is parallel to Michigan and runs in front of the Duluth Terminal building and Northern Cold Storage Company (with the white steam) at 400 South Ninth Avenue West. The Patrick Building at 302 South Fifth Avenue West and Commerce Street is between the Hickory sign and the Northern Drug Company building. Hickory is the main brand of Kelley-How-Thomson Company. It and Stone-Ordean-Wells [...]

Go to Top