Tag: Fires

Duluth Athletic Club after the fire, Duluth, Minnesota

The Duluth Athletic Club building at 402 West First Street burned January 22, 1943. The Athletic Club moved temporarily to the Lexon Hotel and had the first street building rebuilt and remodeled in 1946-1947 by Harold D. Starin. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Fire at Diana Tea Rooms, Duluth, Minnesota

The Diana Tea Rooms was a short lived business at 228 West First Street in downtown Duluth. The initial proprietors were Christ Karas and Thomas Logan in 1936. Mr. Karas remains with the business until 1939. In 1940, another restaurant is at that address. The date of the fire is not known. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Sanctuary of Salem Mission Church after fire destroyed it in 1932, Duluth, Minnesota

On December 6, 1932 the Salem Mission Church of Duluth, Minnesota was badly damaged by fire. Nearly all of the structure had to be demolished. The stained glass windows at the front of the sanctuary were all that could be salvaged. ~ Photo Credit: Salem Covenant Church

Lowell Building , Duluth, Minnesota

The Lowell building at 29-33 East Superior Street, also called the Pastoret Stenson block, was gutted by fire on March 17, 1930: four people were killed in the apartments on the upper floors. The top three floors were removed, and the remaining building stood until demolished in 1999. A replica stands at the spot today. This Oliver Traphagen designed building was built in 1888. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Lowell Building, Duluth, Minnesota

The Lowell building at 29-33 East Superior Street, also called the Pastoret Stenson block, was gutted by fire on March 17, 1930: four people were killed in the apartments on the upper floors. The top three floors were removed, and the remaining building stood until demolished in 1999. A replica stands at the spot today. This Oliver Traphagen designed building was built in 1888. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

After the Great Hinckley Forest Fire, near St. Louis River above Fond du Lac, Minnesota

Burnt trees and fields near the St. Louis River after the Great Hinckley Forest Fire. This image is by Arthur Adams, Minneapolis high school teacher, local historian, and photographer. Adams traveled throughout Minnesota, taking photographs to augment his lectures. His studio was located at 3648 Lyndale Avenue South in Minneapolis. ~ Photo Credit: Hennepin History Museum

Go to Top