Tag: Farms

Chicken yard on Villa farm, Duluth, Minnesota

In 1900, the Duluth Benedictine sisters purchased the first 80 acres of what would be their Kenwood campus. This parcel had been used as a farm for a number of years, and the sisters continued to farm the location with hired laborers. Mrs. Beyenka, wife of the farm overseer, feeds the chickens here. The white structure is a house for the farm laborers built in 1902, and later moved up the hill to become the College post office. ~ Photo Credit: St. Scholastica Monastery

Albert LeGrand Ordean residence, Duluth, Minnesota

View of the garden, carriage house, and house built in 1905 at 2307 East Superior Street of First National Bank president and local philanthropist A. L. Ordean who died in 1928 at 72. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top