Tag: Duluth Benedictine Sisters

First St. Mary’s Hospital, Duluth, Minnesota

The building which was the first St. Mary's Hospital in Duluth, as it appeared in 1945. In the mid-1880s, Abbot Alexius Edelbrock of St. John's Abbey considered creating an independent foundation of Benedictine monks in Duluth. In 1887 three buildings were constructed in Duluth's west end: a church, a parish house and a school and residence using bricks manufactured at St. John's. Plans for the new foundation did not materialize, but Abbot Alexius convinced Mother Scholastica Kerst that the large building could be converted into a hospital. The Benedictine sisters did exactly this, opening the first St. Mary's Hospital at [...]

Munger Terrace, Duluth, Minnesota

When the Benedictine Sisters came to Duluth to establish and independent foundation in 1892, they rented the two westernmost townhouses in the newly-completed Munger Terrace. They occupied one of the two units and their school, Sacred Heart Academy, occupied the other. Bishop McGolrick of Duluth rented the adjacent unit, his residence having been destroyed by fire. ~ Photo Credit: St. Scholastica Monastery

Stanbrook Hall High School, Duluth, Minnesota

A 1938 photo of Stanbrook Hall. In 1937, Mother Agnes Somers hired the St. Louis architectural firm of O'Meara, Hills and Quick to plan two new buildings for the Villa Scholastica campus. This is the new high school, Stanbrook Hall, which was completed in 1938. Stanbrook Hall High School operated until 1967, after which the building was converted to the administrative offices of St. Scholastica Priory. ~ Photo Credit: St. Scholastica Monastery

Panorama of Benedictine Sisters property, Duluth, Minnesota

1938 panorama of Duluth Benedictine Sisters property. In 1937, Mother Agnes Somers hired the St. Louis architectural firm of O'Meara, Hills and Quick to plan two new buildings for the Villa Scholastica campus. Due north of Stanbrook Hall, and connected to Stanbrook and Tower Halls by cloister walks is the combined Chapel of our Lady Queen of Peace and the College library. ~ Photo Credit: St. Scholastica Monastery

Portrait of Sister Agnes Somers, Duluth, Minnesota

A 1930 photo of Sister Agnes (Catherine) Somers. Born in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada, in 1875, she entered the Duluth Benedictines in 1900 at the suggestion of her cousin, Sr. Celestine Sullivan. She was instrumental in the creation of the College of St. Scholastica in 1912. She was prioress of the Duluth community from 1924-1942, and under her administration the College became a four-year institution in 1924, Tower Hall was completed in 1928, Stanbrook Hall and the College library and chapel were constructed in 1938. In her retirement, she wrote an (unpublished) history of the community to 1924, and a [...]

Tower Hall at Villa Sancta Scholastica, Duluth, Minnesota

Tower Hall at Villa Sancta Scholastica was completed in 1927 with the addition of a second tower (not in the original plans) separated from the original tower by an elaborate lobby and main entrance, and the northward extension of the eastward-facing wing. Mother Agnes Somers chose the St. Louis architectural firm of O'Meara and Hills. The original college bus is parked in front of what is now called Tower Hall. ~ Photo Credit: St. Scholastica Monastery

Go to Top