Tag: Dog

St. Croix Avenue, Duluth, Minnesota

St. Croix Avenue was parallel to South Lake Avenue. St. Croix Avenue was changed to South First Avenue East in 1912. This area has evolved over the decades. It was a neighborhood to various ethnic enclaves including Finnish and Jewish communities. It served people in transit in its many boarding houses. In 1885 a group of Jews living in the vicinity of St. Croix Avenue organized an Orthodox congregation. They bought a small house on St. Croix, converted it into a synagogue, and held services there for a few years. The Cleveland school was at St. Croix and Buchanan Street. [...]

Go to Top