Tag: Barrels

Ryan and Russell Grocery, Duluth, Minnesota

Interior of a grocery store at 330 West First Street. S. W. Russell is at the left and John L. Ryan on the right. There was a bakery upstairs. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Roundhouse and Back Shop, Proctor, Minnesota

Proctor, near Duluth, was the home base of the Duluth Missabi and Iron Range Railway and its predecessor roads the D&IR and DM&N. Proctor was created in 1892 when the railroad was extending into Duluth and needed large flat areas. It was the largest such yard in the world. In 1894, the village was incorporated as Proctorknott after J. Proctor Knott, a U.S. Congressman from Kentucky who delivered a satirical speech ridiculing Duluth. The name was later shortened to Proctor. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Fitzsimmons Derrig Company, Duluth, Minnesota

Fitzsimmons-Derrig Company was the business of Charles Fitzsimmons and Andrew A. Warfield. The wholesale fruit business began in 1890 as George W. Martin and Co. with Charles Fitzsimmons as an employee. In 1891 it was Martin, Fitzsimmons and Warfield. In 1892-1893 Fitzsimmons and Warfield, located at 126 West Michigan Street the address of this image. Later Fitzsimmons Derrig and Palmer. Some of the names on the wagons indicate prior partnerships as the company's ownership evolved. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top