Tag: Banks

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Duluth Business District and Canal Park, Duluth, Minnesota

Northern City National Bank's NC sign was placed on top of the Alworth building in 1957 where the bank occupied the Alworth's main floor. The sign was permanently removed in 1980 when a bank merger resulted in the new First Bank. The Alworth is Duluth's tallest downtown building at 16 stories. Minnesota Point extends into the distance. The Arena Auditorium is in the middle of this photograph on the edge of the harbor. Later, the street behind the complex will be renamed Harbor Drive. The Arena Auditorium itself will be expanded and renamed the DECC in 1987. Canal Park, at [...]

Superior Street in 1963, Duluth, Minnesota

Addresses 131-125 on the upper side of West Superior Street. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

First National Bank, Duluth, Minnesota

The American Exchange merged with First National Bank and was renamed First and American National Bank in 1929. You can see the bronze plaque with this name on the corner of the building. It became First American National Bank in 1958, First National in 1974 and Norwest in 1983. In 1998 Norwest merged with Wells Fargo and elected to take the more familiar name Wells Fargo. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Western National Bank, Duluth, Minnesota

Western National Bank, 5629 Grand Avenue, at the intersection of Grand Avenue, Ramsey Street and Fifty Seventh Avenue West. Looking east on Grand Avenue, businesses on the left side of the photograph include J.C. Penney at 5629 Grand Avenue and the Modern Hotel at 5525 Grand Avenue. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

American Exchange Bank, Duluth, Minnesota

The American Exchange National Bank staff assembled with the bank's founder Hamilton M. Peyton who is in the front row with the white side burns. Peyton was bank president from 1879-1921. The bank merged with First National Bank and renamed First and American National Bank in 1929. It became First American National Bank in 1958, First National in 1974 and Norwest in 1983. In 1998 Norwest merged with Wells Fargo and elected to take the more familiar name Wells Fargo. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top