Tag: Bank Buildings

First National Bank, Duluth, Minnesota

The American Exchange merged with First National Bank and was renamed First and American National Bank in 1929. You can see the bronze plaque with this name on the corner of the building. It became First American National Bank in 1958, First National in 1974 and Norwest in 1983. In 1998 Norwest merged with Wells Fargo and elected to take the more familiar name Wells Fargo. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Neighborhoods of Duluth: West Duluth, Citizens State Bank, Duluth, Minnesota

West Duluth Citizens State Bank; 331 Central Avenue; incorporated in 1912; President H. H. Peyton; clock; burglar alarm sign on exterior wall; Wieland Hardware Company; street lamps; snow; barber pole ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Western National Bank, Duluth, Minnesota

Western National Bank, 5629 Grand Avenue, at the intersection of Grand Avenue, Ramsey Street and Fifty Seventh Avenue West. Looking east on Grand Avenue, businesses on the left side of the photograph include J.C. Penney at 5629 Grand Avenue and the Modern Hotel at 5525 Grand Avenue. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

American Exchange Bank, Duluth, Minnesota

The American Exchange National Bank staff assembled with the bank's founder Hamilton M. Peyton who is in the front row with the white side burns. Peyton was bank president from 1879-1921. The bank merged with First National Bank and renamed First and American National Bank in 1929. It became First American National Bank in 1958, First National in 1974 and Norwest in 1983. In 1998 Norwest merged with Wells Fargo and elected to take the more familiar name Wells Fargo. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

People’s State Bank, Duluth, Minnesota

The Peoples State Bank dates from 1920. It is located at 1336 Commonwealth Avenue. In 1890, Peoples Saving Bank was a Zar D. Scott and Roger Munger bank in the Palladio building. The Peoples became Central State Bank. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top