Tag: Alworth Building

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Duluth Business District and Canal Park, Duluth, Minnesota

Northern City National Bank's NC sign was placed on top of the Alworth building in 1957 where the bank occupied the Alworth's main floor. The sign was permanently removed in 1980 when a bank merger resulted in the new First Bank. The Alworth is Duluth's tallest downtown building at 16 stories. Minnesota Point extends into the distance. The Arena Auditorium is in the middle of this photograph on the edge of the harbor. Later, the street behind the complex will be renamed Harbor Drive. The Arena Auditorium itself will be expanded and renamed the DECC in 1987. Canal Park, at [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Minnesota Point, Duluth, Minnesota

This summertime view is from about Fourth Street and Third Avenue West looking toward the Aerial Bridge and Minnesota Point over a segment of the Duluth downtown business district. Minnesota Slip is a private marina but will be the berth of the 600-foot SS William A. Irvin ore boat museum beginning in 1986. The tall center building (white) is the back of the Normandy Inn (1977) that will become the Holiday Inn and Holiday Center in the 1980s. To its left is the copper (green patina) dome of the Duluth Carnegie Library (1901) on Second Street. The tallest Duluth building, [...]

Superior Street in 1963, Duluth, Minnesota

Addresses 302-306 on the lower side of West Superior Street. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Superior Street in 1963, Duluth, Minnesota

Addresses 306-316 on the lower side of West Superior Street. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: View down Fourth Avenue west, Duluth, Minnesota

Looking down Fourth Avenue West from Fourth Street in downtown Duluth. The 16-story Alworth building constructed in a record nine months in 1909-1910 is the tall building at the left. It is at 306 West Superior Street. The 1932 built Medical Arts building is in the middle of the photograph at 324 West Superior Street. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Business District to Canal Park, Duluth, Minnesota

The lift span is up; a vessel either just entered the harbor or is soon to exit but the ship is not visible. From the Marshall-Wells sign at the left to the Aerial Bridge is the area known as Canal Park. At the time of this image, there is still a mix of business and industry in this compact area. It is not going to be a tourist attraction until Grandma's Restaurant opens in 1976, followed by dozens of other amenities. Minnesota Slip will hold the 600-foot William A. Irvin ore boat museum in 1986. The Marshall-Wells Company started in [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: Aerial View from Lake Superior, Duluth, Minnesota

The parallel concrete piers jut out into the lake forming the canal leading to the harbor. Since its remodeling into a lift bridge in 1930, every vessel passes under the Aerial Lift Bridge's raised span. In this view the span is down, and traffic and people cross it as a roadbed. The South Pier is at the left, the North Pier is at the right. Minnesota Point's light sand beach draws residents and tourists in all seasons but especially throughout the summer months. The harbor is still the location of warehouses and coal docks. You can see the light road [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Duluth Harbor, Duluth, Minnesota

View of the harbor from above, possibly from Skyline Drive. The long, low Northern Pacific Railroad freight sheds are between Minnesota and Industrial slips. A laker is in Minnesota Slip. The coal dock area will be the construction site for the Duluth Arena Auditorium in 1963. Hearding Island is off Minnesota Point in the harbor. The island is the uninhabited site that has been called Bird Island by Park Point residents and Harbor Island by Duluth Bird Club members. The name Hearding Island is for William Hellins Hearding (England, 1826-1893, Milwaukee) who surveyed the Duluth-Superior harbor in 1861 as assigned [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Duluth from Skyline Parkway, Duluth, Minnesota

Skyline Parkway began in 1888 as Terrace Parkway or Rogers Boulevard. It was extended under Mayor Samuel F. Snively. Today, Skyline Parkway Drive stretches about 27 miles. In December 1959 the Duluth City Council and Mayor E. Clifford Bork changed the name of Rogers parkway and Skyline Boulevard to Skyline Parkway. The smokestack at the far left is part of the Duluth steam plant. It heats hundreds of downtown buildings. To the left of the smokestack is Hotel Duluth, which opened to great fanfare on May 21, 1925. Hotel Duluth became senior housing and was renamed Greysolon Plaza in October [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: Aerial View of Downtown Duluth, Duluth Harbor, and Canal Park, Duluth, Minnesota

This image shows a view from about Ninth Avenue West and waterfront at the top right corner of the shot to First Avenue East and Second Street at the lower left corner of the shot. Duluth Terminal and Cold Storage Company is at Ninth Avenue West and Railroad Street or 400 South Ninth Avenue West. The 1892 Central High School and its clock tower occupy the block on Second Street between Lake Avenue and First Avenue East in the foreground. The Canal Park area and the waterfront warehouse districts are still very industrial. The arena auditorium will not open until [...]

Go to Top