Tag: Aerial Photographs

Lyric Block View, Duluth, Minnesota

An aerial view showing a two-toned car at the bottom left on Superior street and the Lyric Theater above the car. The Lyric block was razed in 1976 to make way for the Holiday Center. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Duluth Zoo, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of the Duluth Zoo at Fairmount Park at 71st Avenue West and Grand Avenue dates back to 1923 when West Duluth businessman Bert Onsgard received permission from the City to construct a pen for Billy, his pet deer. The Pittsburgh Steel Company donated a railroad car full of fencing to the project. By 1926 many animals were donated to the zoo by local citizens and businesses. Over the next twenty years, several buildings were constructed and the animal collection grew to include bears, elk, moose, hyenas, leopards and an elephant. During the Depression the WPA built several structures [...]

Wheeler Field, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Wheeler Field and playground at 3501 Grand Avenue with its baseball diamonds and tennis courts. Henry Wakeman Wheeler (1821-1906) a first settler, arrived in Duluth in April of 1855; a 28 acre tract of land between 34-37 Avenue West and Grand Avenue was named Wheeler Field for him. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Enger Tower, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of Enger Tower in Enger Park. The city of Duluth aquired the park land between 1891 and 1928. The 70 foot tall, six story tower cost $30,000 to build, and is 583 feet above Lake Superior. You can see 31.4 miles on a clear day. It has a 10 foot conical shaped beacon light at the top with 32 vertical tubes. Norwegian businessman Bert Enger (1864-1931) left his $185,000 estate to the city and selected charitable organizations. One third, or $61,000, was to be used for the memorial tower located at 16th Avenue West and Skyline Parkway Drive [...]

Rose Garden and Leif Erikson Park, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view from Fifteenth Avenue East to the Corner of the Lake, from East Superior Street down to London Road and the lake shore. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Can of Worms, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of the freeway segment locally known as the can of worms. The I-35 freeway was completed in 34 years. On August 31, 1958, the Minnesota Highway Department submitted the proposed route through West Duluth, and on October 29, 1992, the final connecting segment through eastern Duluth opened. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Wheeler Field and Wade Stadium, Duluth, Minnesota

View of Wheeler Field in the foreground and Wade Municipal All Sports Stadium in the middleground and the coal dock in the background. Wade is at 101 North 35th Avenue West was dedicated July 16, 1941. It was renamed Wade Municipal Stadium February 3, 1954, to honor the late Frank Wade, former owner of the Duluth Dukes baseball team. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Thompson Hill Tourist Information, Duluth, Minnesota

Aerial view of the Minnesota Department of Transportation's Thompson Hill Travel Information center located at the Junction of I-35 and US-2. In 1976, The Gate, a $60,000 stainless steel sculpture by David Von Scheggel was added to the Thompson Hill Information Center. David von Schlegell (1920 ? 1992) ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Duluth Waterfront, Duluth, Minnesota

Spring aerial view of downtown Duluth and the harbor from Sixth Avenue West looking northeast along the shore of Lake Superior to Lester River. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Duluth Waterfront, Duluth, Minnesota

Spring aerial view looking west from Canal Park across the slips to downtown and the west hillside. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top