Tag: Aerial Lift Bridge

Downtown, Duluth, Minnesota

View looking west on Michigan Street from Seventh Avenue West. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: View from Kitchi Gammi Club, Duluth, Minnesota

As described by the photographer, this photograph was taken from the vantage point of the Kitchi Gammi Club, 831 East Superior Street. Behind the Aerial Lift Bridge the Blatnik High Bridge is visible in the distance. In the foreground is a statue of Jay Cooke. Created by sculptor Henry M. Shrady, the statue was dedicated October 15, 1921. Photographer, Elizabeth Jo Goodsell, was a Duluth community activist, teacher, and long time resident of Minnesota Point. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of the Bridge from the Port Terminal, Duluth, Minnesota

The scale of the moored vessel is evident as a person walks beside it. The Aerial Lift Bridge is framed by the Duluth hillside and the moored vessel. The photographer, Elizabeth Jo Goodsell, was a Duluth community activist and a physical education teacher at Duluth East High School. She lived on Minnesota Point and was an avid photographer. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Inner Light Tower and South Bridge Tower, Duluth, Minnesota

Formally known as the South Breakwater Inner Light Tower this 67 foot tall structure, seen here next to the south tower of the Aerial Lift Bridge, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The light was first lit in 1901. Originally owned by the federal government, the light tower was sold in December 2008. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Fog over Aerial Bridge and Arena, Duluth, Minnesota

Fog in the harbor masks Canal Park, leaving the top span of the Lift Bridge visible above the Duluth Arena. In the lower left corner of the picture is the Medical Arts Building, 324-330 West Superior Street. Photographer, Elizabeth Jo Goodsell, was a Duluth community activist and a physical education teacher at Duluth East High School. She lived on Minnesota Point and was an avid photographer. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: View from below, Duluth, Minnesota

Looking up into the bridge structure, photographer Jo Goodsell captures the light and architectural shapes of the Lift Bridge. The Aerial Lift Bidge was entered in the National Register of Historic Places on May 22, 1973. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: View from the Arena Auditorium, Duluth, Minnesota

The Aerial Lift Bridge is highlighted in this view from the windows of the Duluth Arena Auditorium. The lift span is up providing a view of the South Breakwater Inner Light Tower. The tower is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally owned by the federal government, it was bought in December, 2008 by Steve Sola and Matt Kampf of Duluth. The Light Tower is 67 feet tall; its light was first lit in 1901. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: American Indians from Cass Lake, Duluth, Minnesota

American Indians from Cass Lake gather near the shore of Lake Superior. The Aerial Lift Bridge and the High Bridge are visible in the background. Built in 1961, the High Bridge was renamed for Congressman John A. Blatnik in 1971. The photographer, Elizabeth Jo Goodsell, was a Duluth community activist and a physical education teacher at Duluth East High School. She lived on Minnesota Point and was an avid photographer. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Neptune at the Ship Canal, Duluth, Minnesota

This 26-foot, 2,000 pound statue of Neptune was featured at the Minnesota State Fair in 1959. Following the Fair it was given to Duluth by the Minnesota State Fair Board and placed in Canal Park for the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959. Made of fiberglass and plastic over papier-mch it eventually disintegrated. The statue was removed in 1963. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top