The William Crooks was the first locomotive to operate in Minnesota. Constructed in 1861, it arrived on a river barge in Saint Paul. It provided service in 1862 for the Saint Paul and Pacific Railroad, a company that eventually became part of the Great Northern Railway. The engine is pulling a Saint Paul and Pacific baggage car and passenger car. It ran on the eleven miles of track between Saint Paul and Saint Anthony (now Minneapolis). Eventually, James J. Hill used the locomotive to pull his personal train. It now resides in a static display at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, Minnesota.
~ Photo Credit: New Brighton Area Historical Society