Neighborhoods of Duluth: West Duluth, Wade Baseball Stadium, Duluth, Minnesota
Wade Stadium was Duluth Municipal Stadium. Wade Stadium was dedicated on July 16, 1941, 3:00 p.m.
Duluth Municipal Stadium located at 34th Ave West and Grand, or 35th avenue west and Michigan Street, was renamed Wade Municipal Stadium February 3, 1954, to honor the late Frank Wade, former owner of the Duluth Dukes baseball team. Wade was sited as having made durable contributions to Duluth. Letters from the community were sent to Mayor George D. Johnson encouraging the name change. The letters were sent on to Frank Wade’s widow. The stadium was constructed by WPA workmen under sponsorship of the Parks Department with a seating capacity of 6,000. It was originally built in 1940-1941 at a cost of $223,000. It is sometimes called the Duluth All-Sports Stadium. It should not be confused with Public School Stadium. West Duluth; ore docks; harbor; two baseball stadiums; Duluth Municipal Stadium located at Thirty-Fourth Ave West and Grand, was renamed Wade Municipal Stadium February 3, 1954, to honor Frank Wade, former owner of the Duluth Dukes baseball team; baseball diamond; trees; gain elevators; coal dock; coal unloading cranes; Elliott meat plant
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Leave a Reply