The Lyceum Theater at 423 West Superior Street had a seating capacity of 1,281 for operas, plays, and vaudeville until 1921 when it was a movie house. Built in 1891 with lumberman Andreas M. Miller financing, it stood until torn down in January 1966. Built to a Traphagen and Fitzpatrick architectural design of brick and brownstone quarried locally, the details were carved by O. George Thrana a Norwegian master stone carver. The triple arched entrance had bronze doors. The stone lions on either side of the entrance were moved to the Duluth zoo when it was razed. The carved comedy and tragedy masks on either side of the entrance were cut from the facade and hang in the theater of the St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections