The Lowell building at 29-33 East Superior Street, also called the Pastoret Stenson block, was gutted by fire on March 17, 1930: four people were killed in the apartments on the upper floors. The top three floors were removed, and the remaining building stood until demolished in 1999. A replica stands at the spot today. This Oliver Traphagen designed building was built in 1888.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections