Clyde Iron Works site, Duluth, Minnesota
Clyde Iron Works Incorporated manufactured heavy equipment from 1889 in Duluth. This is the manufacturing plant at Twenty-ninth Avenue West and Michigan Street from 1908. It had sales warehouses in several cities, including New York, Chicago, Savanna, and New Orleans. The company initial manufactured logging tools and eventually built cranes that could handle up to 2,000 tons. Its initial acclaimed machine was the McGiffert Log Loader first sold in 1902 whose inventor became a company officer.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections