Aftenro Home, Duluth, Minnesota
The Aftenro Society was organized in 1908 by a group of Norwegian women to raise money for the construction of a good Christian old people’s home. Their first building was opened in 1921 with 30 residents and was named for the Norwegian word meaning ?Evening?s Rest? (Aftenro). The Aftenro home presently continues its function as a home for the aged, in its location at 1423 North Nineteenth Avenue East. In this view of the new building, the entire front grounds area is a vegetable garden.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections