Skyline Parkway began in 1888 as Terrace Parkway or Rogers Boulevard. It was extended under Mayor Samuel F. Snively. Today, Skyline Parkway Drive stretches about 27 miles. In December 1959 the Duluth City Council and Mayor E. Clifford Bork changed the name of Rogers parkway and Skyline Boulevard to Skyline Parkway. The smokestack at the far left is part of the Duluth steam plant. It heats hundreds of downtown buildings. To the left of the smokestack is Hotel Duluth, which opened to great fanfare on May 21, 1925. Hotel Duluth became senior housing and was renamed Greysolon Plaza in October 1981.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections