View over downtown Duluth from Skyline Drive or the Parkway. Skyline Parkway extends from Becks Road east to the Lester River, ending at Lake Superior. The road skirts the ridge line of Duluth, though portions extend into Proctor and Midway Township. About 25 miles of it can traveled by car. The National Scenic Byways Program is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration. The program is a grass-roots collaborative effort established to help recognize, preserve and enhance selected roads throughout the United States. Since 1992, the National Scenic Byways Program has funded 2,832 projects for state and nationally designated byway routes in 50 states, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. The U.S. Secretary of Transportation recognizes certain roads as All-American Roads or National Scenic Byways based on one or more archeological, cultural, historic, natural, recreational and scenic qualities. A laker is entering the harbor having just passed under the raised aerial lift bridge. The tall, light-colored buildings on Superior street are, left to right, the First National Bank (1958), the Alworth building (1909), and the Medical Arts building (1932). The cluster of brownish buildings at the tip of the ore boat are the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway Station depot Minnesota Point extends in a graceful curve beyond the bridge. You can see the sand beach on the lake side that is enjoyed by locals and visitors. There is a park with amenities at what is called The End, which includes baseball and polo fields and the Park Point Beach house.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections