This view from the crest of the hillside of Duluth shows a vessel steaming toward the aerial bridge. A prominent sign is visible on the bayside of Minnesota Point advertising Marine Iron and Shipbuilding. That business was located for years at the foot of Eleventh Avenue West and bayfront. The first ship launched in the Twin Ports for service in World War II was at the Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Co., April 23, 1941. A Duluth newspaper on July 1, 1966 ,reported that the former Marshall-Wells Building on Lake Avenue South has been purchased by Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Co. and Modern Constructors Inc. The assessors office lists the value of the property at $736,000.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections