View of the harbor looking at the back of the Paulucci building. The Paulucci building is the common name for the Stone-Ordean-Wells building. It was built at 525 Lake Avenue south in 1915. Stone-Ordean-Wells Company was a wholesale grocery firm. Their in-house, monthly magazine, begun in 1910, was titled Ginger. Nokomis, Hiawatha, and Blue Bird were brands sold by Stone-Ordean-Wells. The architect of the project was Frederick George German. Jeno Paulucci first occupied the building in 1961. Prior to that date there was a series of occupants. Two of the Great Lakes Towing Company tugboats are at the ready because the lift span is fully up which means a vessel must be approaching. The 1901 Canal Park lighthouse is visible between the bows of the tugs. The 107-year-old lighthouse was offered for sale in August 2008 by the federal government with limitations. The formal name for this light structure is South Breakwater Inner Light Tower. It is owned by the federal government and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 67 feet tall tower’s light was first turned on in 1901. It was bought in December 2008 by Steve Sola and Matt Kampf of Duluth. Their winning bid was $31,000. Mr. Sola grew up on Park Point, Kamps in Hibbing, but lived many years on Cape Cod before moving to Duluth. The light tower cannot be moved.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections