Aerial Lift Bridge: View From Enger Park, Duluth, Minnesota
View from near Enger Memorial Tower in Enger Park. The park is located at Sixteenth Avenue West and Skyline Parkway Drive. The 330 acre Enger Park was dedicated June 15, 1939 by Olav, Crown Prince of Norway. Bert J. Enger (1864-1931) fifth member of Duluth’s Hall of Fame, who provided funds for a municipal golf course, left two-thirds of his $185,000 estate to civic enterprises and charitable organizations including: Aftenro Society, Bethany Children’s Home, Wesley Methodist church, Norwegian-American Historical Society, Salvation Army, Lighthouse for the Blind, and Miller Memorial hospital maintenance fund. Enger park, acquired partly by gift from Bert Enger, was acquired by the city of Duluth between 1891 and 1928. Enger Tower cost $30,000 to build, is six stories high, 70 feet tall, 583 feet above Lake Superior. You can see 31.4 miles on a clear day. It has a 10 foot conical shaped beacon at the top with 32 vertical tubes. One third of the $185,000 Enger estate, $61,000, was to be used for a civic memorial.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections