The lift span is up as spectators watch a line of pleasure craft sail through the Ship Canal, passing under the Aerial Lift Bridge. On July 11, 1959 several thousand people gathered in Canal Park, and more lined the lake shore as far north as the Lester River, to celebrate the completion of the St. Lawrence Seaway. At the foot of the bridge, on the right of the image, is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Building. Observation Hill stands behind Canal Park and the harbor.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections