Looking north from the Minnesota Point beach. The neighborhood of Minnesota Point is called Park Point. The park at the end of the point is also called Park Point. The building to the right of the black and white lighthouse is the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Building. built in 1906. The Marine Museum will be joined to it in 1973. The 67-foot tall lighthouse in front of the Aerial Lift Bridge is formally called South Breakwater Inner Light Tower. Owned by the federal government and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, the tower’s light was first lit in 1901. It was bought in December 2008 by Steve Sola and Matt Kampf of Duluth. The winning bid was more than $31,000. Mr. Sola grew up on Park Point, Kamps in Hibbing, but lived many years on Cape Cod before moving to Duluth. They cannot move the tower.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections