Looking toward the Aerial Lift Bridge, this image provides a view of Leif Erikson Park, Twelfth Avenue East and London Road, as preparations begin for the Duluth International Folk Festival. Now known as the Festival of Cultures, the Folk Festival began in the late 1940s. Sponsors of the festival have included the International Institute, the Head of the Lakes World Affairs council, the Duluth Jaycees and the YWCA. Lake Shore Park was renamed Leif Erikson Park in 1929.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections