Aerial Lift Bridge: Colorized View of Duluth Canal and Hillside, Duluth, Minnesota
View of a lake vessel in the canal entering the Duluth harbor. There are a number of sites visible where rubble is evident as Duluth razes older structures to make way for new construction. Canal Park is evolving from a light industrial commercial district into what will be a model tourist destination in another decade. The Flame restaurant is the bright white rectangle at the left center. The Flame supper club opened in 1930. The Aerial Lift Bridge was first operated on March 19, 1930. The present bridge has a clearance of 138 feet when the lift section is completely up and when down it is 16.5 feet above the water. The length of the span is 386 feet and weighs 900 tons. The distance from the water to the lower edge of the truss is 172 feet 7 inches; to the top of the truss it is 227 feet. During the shipping season it makes about 25 lifts a day. The new bridge is owned and operated by the City of Duluth on permit authorized by Congress. The Ship Canal and grounds are under the authority of the Lake Superior Area Office of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections