Category: American Indians

Aerial Lift Bridge: American Indians from Cass Lake, Duluth, Minnesota

American Indians from Cass Lake gather near the shore of Lake Superior. The Aerial Lift Bridge and the High Bridge are visible in the background. Built in 1961, the High Bridge was renamed for Congressman John A. Blatnik in 1971. The photographer, Elizabeth Jo Goodsell, was a Duluth community activist and a physical education teacher at Duluth East High School. She lived on Minnesota Point and was an avid photographer. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery Entrance, Duluth, Minnesota

Signs for the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery and for forest fires are visible in this view. Also called the Roussain Graveyard, the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery graves were moved because of railroad construction in 1870. The Roussain Graveyard is on Francis Roussain's property. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery in 1927, Duluth, Minnesota

Called the Indian Cemetery or the Roussain Graveyard, this view is from 1927 and shows the second location. The Roussain Graveyard is on Francis Roussain's property. The cemetery was originally located in the right-of-way for the Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad construction. The graves were moved to this site just prior to the LS&M's completion from St. Paul to Duluth in 1870. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery, Duluth, Minnesota

This cemetery was called the Roussain Graveyard as well as the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery. Graves were moved to this location because of railroad construction in 1870 at the original location. This headstone is for two of Francis Roussain's children who died at ages two and seven in 1817 and 1819. The Roussain Graveyard is on Francis Roussain's property. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery, Duluth, Minnesota

An unidentified headstone is standing in the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery. Also called the Roussain Graveyard, the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery graves were moved to this location because of railroad construction in 1870. The Roussain Graveyard is on Francis Roussain's property. The last burial occurred at this site in 1918. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery, Duluth, Minnesota

A monument and headstones are standing in the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery. This cemetery was called the Roussain Graveyard as well as the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery. Graves were moved to this location because of railroad construction in 1870 at the original location. The Roussain Graveyard is on Francis Roussain's property. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery, Duluth, Minnesota

View of an unidentified monument and some headstones in the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery. This cemetery was called the Roussain Graveyard as well as the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery. Graves were moved to this location because of railroad construction in 1870 at the original location. The Roussain Graveyard is on Francis Roussain's property. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery, Duluth, Minnesota

Also called the Roussain Graveyard, the Fond du Lac Indian Cemetery graves were moved to this location because of railroad construction in 1870. The last burial occurred at this site in 1918. The Roussain Graveyard is on Francis Roussain's property. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Site of the Vineland Battle, Duluth, Minnesota

Historical marker commemorating the Vineland battle near Duluth, Minnesota, in which the Chippewa permanently drove the Sioux into southern Minnesota. This image is by Arthur Adams, Minneapolis high school teacher, local historian, and photographer. Adams traveled throughout Minnesota, taking photographs to augment his lectures. His studio was located at 3648 Lyndale Avenue South in Minneapolis. ~ Photo Credit: Hennepin History Museum

Defoe child, Red Lake, Minnesota

A small Ojibwe girl from the Defoe family is standing outdoors next to a dog. A blanket or quilt hangs over a fence in the background. This snapshot by Stella Stocker is from her photograph album. Stocker, a musician and music educator, studied American Indian music among the Ojibwe people in Minnesota. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Go to Top