Category: 1950’s

Duluth Folk Festival, Duluth, Minnesota

Dancers performing on the WPA constructed stage at the Folk Festival. The YWCA and A. M. Chisholm Children's Museum collaborated to provide the annual Duluth Folk Festival in Leif Erikson Park to celebrate cultures and community. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: First Foreign Ship Arrives in Duluth, Minnesota

Spectators line the Ship Canal to celebrate the first foreign ship entering the Duluth harbor. The merchant vessel Ramon de Larrinaga arrived in Duluth on May 3, 1959, to load grain. Departing from its home port of Liverpool, it was the first foreign ship to arrive in Duluth through the newly opened St. Lawrence Seaway. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: First Foreign Ship Arrives in Duluth, Minnesota

The merchant vessel Ramon de Larrinaga arrived in Duluth on May 3, 1959, to load grain. Departing from its home port of Liverpool, it was the first foreign ship to arrive in Duluth through the newly opened St. Lawrence Seaway. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: View from downtown, Duluth, Minnesota

This view is from just below First Street looking down Second Avenue West. Glass Block department store and the Sellwood building are on the corners of Superior Street and Second Avenue West. Railroad Street and ice filled slips are between downtown and the bridge. Minnesota Point extends beyond the bridge at the top of the image. Glass Block was built in 1893 and three floors added in 1902. It closed in 1981. The Sellwood was built in 1908 and still stands. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Seaway Celebration, Duluth, Minnesota

Spectators line the piers of Duluth's Ship Canal to welcome Navy destroyers Sherman, U.S.S. C.H. Roan and Forrest Royal, along with submarine Corsair, marking the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The photographer, Elizabeth Jo Goodsell, was a Duluth community activist and a physical education teacher at Duluth East High School. She lived on Minnesota Point and was an avid photographer. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Water Sprays Welcome First Foreign Ship, Duluth, Minnesota

This image shows spectators lining the Ship Canal to witness the first foreign ship entering the Duluth harbor. The merchant vessel Ramon de Larrinaga arrived in Duluth on May 3, 1959, to load grain. Departing from its home port of Liverpool, it was the first foreign ship to arrive in Duluth through the newly opened St. Lawrence Seaway. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: View of Minnesota Slip, Duluth, Minnesota

Minnesota Slip (water), on some 1920s maps called Lake Avenue Slip, is bounded by the Northern Pacific Railway Dock No. 6, and the businesses and warehouses on the harbor edge of Canal Park. The Marshall-Wells water towers are a feature standing tall next to the DeWitt Seitz Company building that stands today. The DeWitt-Seitz Co., whose plant, factory, warehouse and offices were at 390 S. Lake Avenue, was one of Duluth's prosperous businesses. The company, organized in 1905 by Henry F. Seitz and C E. DeWitt, manufactured all grades of mattresses and box springs, and included wholesale and jobbing of [...]

Aerial Lift Bridge: Water Sprays Welcome First Foreign Ship, Duluth, Minnesota

Members of the Duluth Fire Department create water sprays to mark the arrival of the Ramon de Larrinaga. The Larrinaga was the first foreign ship to arrive in Duluth through the newly opened St. Lawrence Seaway. It was followed five minutes later by the Liberian-registered Herald. The photographer, Elizabeth Jo Goodsell, was a Duluth community activist, teacher, and long time resident of Minnesota Point. ~ Photo Credit: University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections

Aerial Lift Bridge: Aerial View from Lake Superior, Duluth, Minnesota

The parallel concrete piers jut out into the lake forming the canal leading to the harbor. Since its remodeling into a lift bridge in 1930, every vessel passes under the Aerial Lift Bridge's raised span. In this view the span is down, and traffic and people cross it as a roadbed. The South Pier is at the left, the North Pier is at the right. Minnesota Point's light sand beach draws residents and tourists in all seasons but especially throughout the summer months. The harbor is still the location of warehouses and coal docks. You can see the light road [...]

Go to Top